Note : All Viralelt posts share the same structure. Teacher’s notes appear only on How to use Viralelt. This is done to keep “teacher text” to a minimum and avoid repetition.
- How do you react to the video? Can you imagine how Joanne Milne felt on hearing for the first time?
- Do you know anyone who is deaf or has hearing problems? How do they deal with their disability?
- Which do you think is the most useful visual accommodation for deaf people: sign language, lip-reading or captioning? Try and talk about the advantages and disadvantages of each one.
- Think of a typical day in your life. What problems would you face if you were deaf?
- We have five senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch. Are some senses more important to us than the others? (Try and put them in order from most important to least important, then compare with your partner.)
- Is there a difference between being born deaf and losing your hearing later in life?
- It is said that losing one sense has an effect on your remaining senses. How might they be affected?
- Do you think deaf people suffer discrimination? Is enough done to ensure that deaf people can fulfil their aspirations in a world designed for hearing people?
- Are there any sounds that you would you particularly miss if you lost your hearing?
- Do you think deaf people should be educated separately in all-deaf environments (schools, colleges, universities etc)?
Which three of the above questions are being discussed?
Download “Question time” and the “Sitting comfortably?” script in an editable Word document here.
Thanks for dropping by! | Viralelt by Tefltecher