Note : All Viralelt posts share the same structure. Teacher’s notes appear only on How to use Viralelt. This is done to keep “teacher text” to a minimum and avoid repetition.
The following video was recorded by British passenger Ethan Williams prior to and during the emergency landing of Cathay Pacific flight CX884 (Hong Kong – Los Angeles) on the 29th July, 2015.
Before you play the video you might like to show your students one or more of the following images. Ask them to speculate about the young man’s emotional state judging by his facial expression.
Image 1 | Image 2 | Image 3 | Image 4 | Image 5 | All images
- Why do you think the young man in the video decided to film himself while he was going through such a terrifying experience?
- What would you do in the same situation? What would be going through your mind?
- Why are so many people afraid of flying? Is this a rational fear?
- Do you feel afraid or nervous when you are travelling by plane?
Have you ever had a frightening or unpleasant experience?
- How important is it to pay attention when the flight attendants are explaining the safety instructions? Do you always listen carefully?
- How many times have you flown? What’s the longest flight you’ve ever been on? How do you pass the time when you’re travelling by plane?
- Do you think being a flight attendant is a difficult job? What are their main responsibilities?
- People often say that flying is the safest and most comfortable way to travel? Do you agree?
- Do you think security procedures in airports are too tight these days? Have you ever had a bad experience going through airport security?
- Why do you think airplane disaster movies are so popular? Do you like this type of film?
Which two of the above questions are being discussed?
Download “Question time” and the “Sitting comfortably?” script in an editable Word document here.
Here are six more viral videos on the topic of air travel.
Thanks for dropping by! | Viralelt by Tefltecher